Wednesday 4 December 2013

PHOTOGRAPHY

Project Two
Photography and Time

When you look into Photography and Time, there's a lot of things that come to mind, for example a series of photos taken at one time or and photo that has been taken, that looks like it could of been taken years ago. Either way these images could tell a story and all have something to do with time and timing. 

EADWEARD MUYBRIDGE





Artist Bio:-
Eadweard James Muybridge was an English photographer important for his pioneering work in photographic studies of motion, and early work in motion-picture projection. Muybridge's reputation as a photographer grew in the late 1800s. 

Speculation raged for years over whether all four hooves of a running horse left the ground. The former Governor of California believed they did, but the motion was too fast for human eyes to detect. In 1872, Muybridge began experimenting with an array of 12 cameras photographing a galloping horse in a sequence of shots. Between 1878 and 1884, he perfected his method of horses in motion, proving that they do have all four hooves off the ground during their running stride. Whilst working at the University of Pennsylvania, he produced thousand of images of humans and animals in motion. 


JOEL-PETER WITKIN





Artist Bio:-
Joel-Peter Witkin is an American photographer. His work often deals with such themes as death, corpses and sometimes dismembered portions thereof and various outsiders such as dwarves, transsexuals, hermaphrodites and physically deformed people. Witkin's complex tableaux often recall religious episodes or classical paintings. He says his family's difficulties also influenced his work. His favorite artist is Giotto. His photographic techniques draw on early Daguerreotypes and on the work of E.J Bellocq. 


His work has an old feel to it which makes it interesting, but I do find his work very weird and strange. I don't really see why he likes to create these pieces of work. I would see it as trying to compare life and death. But this is a example of how time could be shown through images. It's how the picture is taken and the meaning behind the photo. 

JOHN COPLANS





Artist Bio:-
John Coplans was a British artist. A veteran of World War II and a photographer, he emigrated to the United Sates in 1960 and had many exhibitions in Europe and North America. He was on the editorial of Art Forum from 1962 to 1971, and was Editor-in-chief from 1972 to 1977. His photographic self-portraits challenged the taboo on ageing. 

I really enjoy John Coplans work and its obvious that his work is all about ageing which is related to time. I think its a very interesting way to look at time. Everyone can relate to his pieces of work because its a show of life and what we all go through. The pieces are put up very largely and its an effective way of looking into the detail of his photographs. His self portraits show me that over time he was accepting his body and the way it became over time. I'm very inspired by his work and in the  future I would like to work on pieces similar to this. 


MY WORK




For this project I decided to do something similar to Eadweard Muybridge's work. I took a sequence of images of someone arraigning flowers. All together I have 96 frames, but here I have only shown 20. I chose this as I think its the most effective way of showing time through photographs even though there's a small amount of time between the photographs. I chose flower arraigning as its something obvious you can see the changes in rather then someone walking for example. I had my camera on a burst setting that allowed me to take many pictures at once. I'm pleased with how these images came out and would like to create me with many frames. As I was also very influenced by Johns Coplans work I decided to take some images similar to his. 

MY WORK



Here I have photographed my younger brothers hand. He is the youngest member in my family so according to time and age, I thought it was appropriate to use him. I decided to take the photograph focusing on one part of the hand, as its the most detailed and I think I've done well to show that. I decided to take the photograph in colour because I think you can see everything much more and its a true show of what his hand actually looks at rather then guessing like black and white images. I wanted to get a lot in the frame, so that you know its a hand but it isn't clear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment